99.3 The River News—-Oct 15th, 2020
ALL STORIES FROM MBS NEWSROOM
For the first time in 35 years the Parade of Lights in Miramichi has been cancelled.
The Historic Chatham Business District formally announced the cancellation yesterday. General Manager John Vickers says its yet another unfortunate casualty of the pandemic. Vickers did hint at some possible alternatives, such as turning Water Street into an elevated-drive thru holiday spectacle. A number of other municpalities have either cancelled holiday parades or introduced the notion of a reverse parade, where the floats are stationary and spectators drive by…although the recent outbreaks in Campbellton and Moncton have municplaities across the province rethinking all of their holiday plans.
Listuguj First Nation is questioning why its students are no longer welcome in Campbellton for school.
Chief Darcy Gray says 103 students from the First Nation attend Sugarloaf Senior High, where a positive case of COVID-19 was identified last week.
New Brunswick’s department of education says students from the First Nation will continue the year online while students in New Brunswick will return to class today.
Gray says he’s shocked Listuguj students have been left out and says if there’s a public health concern, it should apply to all Sugarloaf students, not just the Mi’kmaq students.
The defence opened its case in the Mathew Raymond murder trial in Fredericton.
His lawyers described a man who lost interest in biking and video games, and instead spent time on the internet searching out information on ISIS, anti-muslim sentiment, demons and the occult in the two to three years before the killings in 2018. The Crown has agreed with the defence that Raymond was mentally ill at the time…but that leaves Raymond’s lawyers to prove to the jury he was not criminally responsible for killing Donnie Robichaud, Bobbie Lee Wright and Constables Sara Burns and Robb Costello.
SURPLUS GG/WIRE (WED 4PM)
New Brunswick says it’s ending the 2019-2020 fiscal year with more money in the bank than it expected to have.
The province reported an almost 49 million-dollar surplus — exceeding the budgeted surplus by over 25-million dollars.
Finance and Treasury Board Minister Ernie Steeves says the province saw a decrease in its net debt for the first time in 13 years.
The province says revenues also broke expectations coming in at 46.3 million dollars higher than the budget due largely to personal income tax revenue.
How ever the fiscal year ended just as as the pandemic took hold in the province so it doesn’t reflect the impact of Covid 19 has had since then on the provincial economny.
MUNICIPAL ELECTION DATE
A date has now been set for the long delayed municipal elections in New Brunswick.
In a release Local Government Minister Daniel Allain says muncipal elections will now take place in the late Spring, on May 10 of 2021.
Those elections were originally scheduled for last May but were delayed due to the pandemic.
Allain says it was important to reset the four year election cycle but says it was also important to set a date that wouldn’t interfere with the municipal budget cycle.
The results of the 122-sites used by Premier Blaine Higgs to justify mandatory mask use in New Brusnwick has been revealed.
Survey results provided to Brunswick News by the Department of Justice and Public Safety shows Fredericton had the highest compliance rates at 49-percent.
Saint John and Grand Falls has by far the lowest number of people in masks with just 16-percent in Saint John and 11-percent in Grand Falls.
The data was collected before mask use was mandated last week with Premier Blaine Higgs calling the numbers at the time simply not acceptable.
Eight new cases of COVID-19 were reported yesterday in New Brunswick. Chief Medical OFficer Dr. Jenifer Russel says two are connected to the outbreak in Moncton, the other six are in the Campbellton region.
Dr. Russel says contact tracing has confirmed the Moncton outbreak, centred around the Manoir Notre Dame, was travel-related but they still haven’t been able to track the source of the outbreak in Campbellton, other than they are all connected in the north.
Meanwhile, a positive test has been confirmed at anogther school in Dalhousie -the fifth. Dr. Russel say the good news is that there has yet to be any evidence of student-to-student transmission at any of the affected schools.
There are now 90 active cases in New Brunswick, all reported within the last week. Five people are currently hospitalized with one patient in intensive care.
Nationally things aren’t much better with an additional 25-hundred cases reported yesterday and active cases growing to over 20-thousand.