June 17, 2020 | by: Michelle Roy

99.3 The River News—-June 17th, 2020

ALL STORIES FROM  MBS RADIO

 

—-

FAMILIES MEET

The families of Rodney Levi, Chantel Moore and Brady Francis got together Monday.

Jessica Perley, whose son Brady Francis was killed in a hit and run accident in 2018, told the Leader their people are being killed and there’s no justice happening. The families got together for healing ceremonies and to discuss the systemic racism that Perely said robs Indigenous people of justice.

In a news release, the Wolastoqey (Wul-AH’-stook-kway) Nation said the shooting deaths of Moore and Levi “are windows into the systemic racism that exists within our police and criminal justice systems.” It is calling for a “fully independent inquiry with Indigenous leadership” to investigate the shootings to restore trust in the system.

 

—-

HARNISH MURDER UPDATE

 

The man accused of murdering Brandon Martin of Miramichi over a year ago appeared in court briefly yesterday via video link from jail.

The lawyer for Ethen James Harnish asked for more time to go over the disclosure of evidence from the Crown. His next court appearance will be July 21st. He remains in custody for now.

Harnish was charged with first-degree murder June 2 and offering an indignity to human remains. Martin’s body was found May 27th in the area of the Plaster Rock-Renous Highway after he had been missing for a year.

 

—-

NEW NURSING HOME

 

The new Shannex Bridgeview Hall nursing home is now open in Douglastown and residents are moving today from the Miramichi Senior Citizens Home to the new facility.

Carole Morey, Regional Director of Operations with Shannex, tells the Leader they had been planning to make the move in April but it was delayed because of the Pandemic.

Families were ale to get ito the new facility on the weekend to fix up their loved ones room the way they’d like before the big move. Morey says it also makes the families feel good because they haven’t been able to visit in three months.

 

—-

COVID UPDATE

The province reported three new cases of COVID-19 yesterday all in the Campbellton region.

Two of the cases are health-care employees at the Campbellton Regional Hospital and the other case is linked to a close contact of a case.

The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is now 163 including two deaths of residents of a long-term care home in the region.

Thirty cases remain active with four patients in hospital, including one in an intensive care.

Nationally there are over 99-thousand-400 cases and 8,213 COVID-19 related deaths.

 

—-

STAYCATIONS

 

The New Brunswick government has launched a staycation campaign encouraging residents to discover their own province over the coming months.

The province says the aim of the campaign is to support the province’s tourism industry, which has been hit hard by restrictions imposed to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Tourism Minister Bruce Fitch says residents who support local tourism operators will also be helping to restore the provincial economy.

Videos from the campaign will show scenes from throughout the province with the main message being Welcome back.

 

—-

 NOTWITHSTANDING NOT 

 

A committee of MLAs has voted to remove the notwithstanding clause from the controversial bill on mandatory vaccinations.

The unanimous vote from members of all parties took out the clause that would have protected the bill from any constitutional challenges in the future.

Several MLAs in the past have spoken out against the clause saying it takes away from the democratic process.

The bill which would eliminate non-medical exemptions from vaccinations for school children will now continue further debate this afternoon.

 

—-

MURDER ADJOURNED     

 

The couple accused of killing 31-year-old Clark Ernest Hunter Greene in Fredericton in April have had their case adjourned for three weeks.

According to CBC 20-year-old Zachary David Murphy and 21-year-old Angela April Walsh appeared in court yesterday via teleconference.

The two have been charged with first degree-murder and their lawyers asked for the adjournment as they have not received full disclosure of evidence.

Greene’s body was found on April 15th in Wilmot Park with police saying he had been “significantly injured” but they have not said how he died.

 

—-

 ACCIDENTAL DEATH    

 

RCMP say the death of a man in Moncton in January has been ruled accidental.

Codiac RCMP responded to a call on the afternoon of January 2nd at an apartment building on Essex Street.

Police found the body of a man outside the building who was identified as an individual from Ontario.

An autopsy has now determined the man’s death was accidental and criminality has been ruled out. So Police say no charges are expected as it was determined no one else was involved in his death.

 

—-

CHOPPER BACK                 ]

 

Senior military officials say there was a “conflict” between a Cyclone helicopter and its pilot, moments before the aircraft plunged into the water off the coast of Greece in April.

The Royal Canadian Air Force says reasons for that conflict remain under investigation, even as it announces the resumption of Cyclone flights.

Officials say they are implementing new training as well as restrictions on certain flight activities to prevent similar problems.

The entire helicopter fleet was temporarily grounded after the April 29th crash of a Cyclone into the Ionian Sea that left six service members dead including three from Nova Scotia.

 

—-

CERB   

 

The Trudeau Government is extending the Canada Emergency Response Benefit for eight extra weeks for people who have lost their jobs and earnings during COVID-19….but there’s a catch. People are being asked to look for work and take jobs when it’s responsible to do so.

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit will continue to pay out $500 a week for up to 24 weeks instead of 16.

Canada’s new top central banker says the heavy spending by the federal government along with unprecedented measures from the central bank should stabilize the economy and support a recovery.